What is Voluum?
Voluum is an ad tracking software that allows you to optimize all of their campaigns across many traffic sources, including Taboola. Voluum is integrated with Taboola and it provides you with the ability to create Taboola-specific campaign links and it is capable of sending us S2S conversions once configured properly. This guide will cover how to set up S2S via Voluum. Additional information on the rest of what Voluum offers to Taboola clients can be found here.
How to set up S2S via Voluum?
Setting up Taboola as a traffic source
1. If Taboola was already added as a traffic source, please skip this section. Otherwise, in the Voluum dashboard, go to Traffic sources and click Create followed by Traffic Source.
2. In the following pop-up, search for Taboola and select Next.
3. TS parameters can be changed as the client deems necessary and VLM tokens can be toggled on or off depending on what pieces of data the client wishes to track. PLEASE NOTE: do not alter the TS tokens. These are the macros that we use on our end.
Creating a Taboola campaign in Voluum
- In the Voluum dashboard, select the Campaigns section and click Create and select either Campaign Simple or Campaign Advanced depending on what you are trying to do (for additional information, please reach out to Voluum support).
- In the following pop-up, select Taboola as a traffic source and proceed to fill out the necessary fields for campaign creation. Please note, a lander or offer is required to complete campaign creation, so you may need to create those first if you have not already. This piece ofVoluum documentation can assist you with campaign creation. For additional support, please reach out to Voluum support.
- Once the campaign has been created, please right click on it and click Copy URL. This is the URL you will use as your landing pages in Taboola Ads. It will use any parameters you defined under the traffic source section in Voluum.
Setting up postbacks
- In the Voluum dashboard, go to the Traffic sources tab, click on the Taboola traffic source and click Edit.
- In the section marked Passing conversion info to traffic source, please make sure Traffic source postback URL is toggled on.
This will be the default URL in the text box:
If this is the only conversion that is configured in Voluum and the only one that is intended to be passed to Taboola, please replace REPLACE_EVENT_NAME with the event name referenced in the In Taboola Ads section > Creating conversions > step 2 and Save. You can skip step 3.
Otherwise, please toggle the Traffic source postback URL per event type on. Please note custom conversion events must already be defined in Voluum for this to be available. More information on this can be foundhere. If the client is unsure how to pass conversions to Voluum, please have them reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For each Voluum custom conversion they wish to send to us, they will need to add a separate event in this section. For each postback URL, please have them paste the default Voluum postback:
They will need to replace REPLACE_EVENT_NAME with the appropriate event name that they created in Taboola Ads. Once they are done, please click Save.
In Taboola Ads
- Navigate to the Tracking tab in Taboola Ads
- Click on new conversion
- Create an event conversion. It can be named anything the client would like, but please take notice of the event name. This is the name that will be used in the postback URL.
- Repeat as necessary for all conversions that the client intends to track.
Setting up landing pages
Please select/create the appropriate campaign under the Campaigns tab. Using the link generated in the In Voluum > Creating a Taboola Campaign in Voluum section, create a new ad with the link as the landing page.
PLEASE NOTE: If the landing page URL was generated properly from Voluum (which it should be in order to ensure successful tracking), the click ID macro should already exist in the URL. It will not need to be added at the campaign or item level.
A test should be the last step performed after everything listed above. Instructions on how to generate a test link with a sample click ID can be found here. Please go through the conversion funnel so that the conversion fires. If everything was set up properly, an event should appear in the events received column in the Tracking tab of Taboola Ads within 30-45 minutes.
What is a key/value pair?
A key/value pair is a parameter and its respective value. The parameters can be used to store reporting information AND the important click ID we need for tracking. The default key/value pairs we have set up in Voluum for Taboola can be found in TS parameter and TS token below:
PLEASE NOTE: Do not edit the TS tokens! These are Taboola macros and must exist as is for our system to know to replace them with actual values. TS parameters can be renamed as the client wishes, but we recommend using the default.
Can you track multiple conversions in Voluum?
Yes, multiple conversions can be tracked in Voluum. More information on how to create additional conversion events in Voluum can be foundhere. If the client is unsure how to pass conversions to Voluum, please have them reach out to email@example.com.
What should the event name be in Taboola Ads?
The event name MUST match the name set in Voluum for the respective conversion's postback. If you are defining the conversion in Taboola Ads first, please name it whatever you would like and copy this name over to the appropriate postback in Voluum. If the postback is already set up in Voluum, please use the name found between the = and & following "&name", see below: