To drive the best performance possible for your campaigns, Taboola provides audience targeting options based on interest, behavior, demographics, business and buying intent (note: varies by market)
This allows you to focus your spend on audiences you know you want to target or audiences who are most interested in buying your product or services.
This article will review how to target those audiences initially, and also how to access the Audience report to find the best audiences to target. Then, it will review how to set up a campaign to target these top performing audiences.
Visit our Advertiser Data Use Policy here.
How to Access Audience Reporting
To access reporting, take the following steps:
- Go to the Audiences view within the Campaigns tab in Taboola Ads. Here you will see the performance of your campaign by audience segment.
- Select the relevant campaign you’d like to see the audiences for.
- (Optional) In the top right corner, select the date range you want to view.
- Here you will be able to see relevant performance metrics like Viewable Impressions, Viewable Click-Through Rate (vCTR) and conversion rate, shown by audience segment, collected over the timeframe you selected. In the report you’ll also see what partner from our extensive inventory is providing each audience segment in the Partner column.
- Suggested Audiences - You will see a column called Conversion Rate vs. Average. Audiences can be sorted by recommendation strength, with the strongest recommendation highlighted in green, and the weakest (but still positive) recommendation in orange. These are the Audiences most likely to perform for your campaign.
As a result, clicks and actions from one user can show up in multiple segments in the Audience report. Therefore, the data in the report will add up to more than the total clicks/spend/actions in the campaign.
If you do not see the "Conversion rate vs average", make sure it is not turned off in the customize columns feature.
*For Taboola Pixel clients, the field may be hidden by default, it can be found by selecting it in the columns tab. For a how to click here.
Not all campaigns will get a recommendation. If you see a blank in the cell for that audience segment in the "Conversion rate vs average" column, it means there is not enough data to form a prediction or the segment may not perform well for the campaign.
If a specific campaign does not have any recommended segments, you should consider: changing up the campaign creatives, using more lenient targeting to reach more users, increasing the budget, or tracking more valuable post click actions using the Taboola Pixel to increase the overall amount of actions captured.
How to Create Campaigns Targeting Specific Audiences
There are two ways to launch a new audience targeted campaign:
Create Campaign From Scratch
Firstly, you can apply audience targeting when creating a new campaign. Once you get to the Audience Targeting section, here you can target different marketplace audiences by either searching for the audience you're looking for in the dropdown, or selecting a group of audiences from the category drop down. For example, if you wanted to target an age segment like 18-24 year olds, by selecting this group you would target all 3rd party segments related to these ages.
the country targeting affects which audiences will be available, as not all partners provide audience segment data in all locations.
Create Campaign From The Audiences Tab
This option allows you to duplicate the run of network (RON) campaign and add the selected/desired audiences. This option is best if you wish to create an audience targeted campaign that is strongly predicted to perform well based on data from the RON campaign.
In order to create a campaign from the Audiences report, do the following:
- Go to the Audiences view in the Campaigns tab of Taboola Ads.
- Select the RON campaign you’d like to create a new campaign from (in other words, the campaign you will copy with the exception of the audience segment targeting).
- Review the Conversion Rate to Avg. column to identify the strongest audiences for your campaign goals.
- Tick check boxes of the audiences you would like to target
Important note!Each data provider will need their own campaign, you cannot combine multiple providers in one campaign.
- Click on Duplicate Campaign using Audiences
- You’ll reach the New Campaign page, which will include all of the settings from your original campaign, including the audiences you’ve selected to target.
Expert Tip!Targeting audiences will most likely decrease the number of users are able to see this campaign. In the settings page of your new campaign, your CPC will be adjusted to the minimal CPC recommended to maintain scale. We recommend that the CPC be at least 10-20% higher
- Make any necessary changes to the rest of your campaign settings, and click Continue. Then you will be able to edit campaign items in your campaign if needed.
We recommend to select a campaign that has a spending history of at least two weeks at $50/day and is running on all the Taboola network without many restrictions (for example, is running only on specific sites or targeting only one region), in order to have enough data topredict the best performing audiences for you.
Audience Targeting Best Practices
Keep Run-Of-Network Campaigns Running: One of the main benefits of audience segment targeting is the ability to access audience segment data in any Taboola campaign in the Audience tab of the Campaigns view in Taboola Ads. To maintain your reach as well as the ability to continually optimize your data-targeted campaign you should continue your RON campaigns. This way you will stay informed… Maintain run-of-network, wide-reaching campaigns in order to stay informed about which audiences are engaging or converting most efficiently with your content. Let the data speak for itself.
Raise Your Audience Targeting CPC: As with any granular targeting functionality, focusing your campaign on a specific audience greatly reduces your potential scale. In order to maintain scale on campaigns when targeting specific audiences, it is strongly recommended to run these campaigns with a higher CPC bid than your run-of-network campaigns.
In which countries are audiences available?
Audiences are available globally. However, available providers and audiences will vary on a country by country basis. When you select a country to target in your campaign, the audiences available for that country will automatically populate under Marketplace Audiences.
Can I combine audiences from different data providers?
For Sponsored Content campaigns, in the marketplace audiences UI, if you select an audience from a provider that doesn’t support “multi-partner”, adding audience segments from other providers will be disabled. Vice versa, if you select an audience from a provider that does support multi-partner, providers that don’t support it will be disabled for selection.
For Video campaigns, you can target multiple segments from the below providers within a single campaign:
- Specialist Marketing Services
How do I know the size of the segment I'm targeting?
In the Audience Targeting section of Edit Campaign in Taboola Ads, you can view the size of your marketplace audiences (third party data and Taboola Audiences) on Sponsored Content campaigns. The Audience Size shows the estimated number of people in an audience monthly, averaged over the last 30 days. The size will appear next to the provider name as seen below. The estimated size includes the selected countries, but does not include other campaign restrictions such as blocked publishers, platform etc.
If audience size couldn't be retrieved (due to a technical issue), you will see "couldn't retrieve size". Any size below 100K will be shown as "<100K". These audiences are not recommended for targeting as they are expected to yield very low scale.