Targeting your campaigns to the right audience helps you get the most out of your campaigns. This article will review location targeting options.
With location targeting, you can target specific geographic areas - like countries or regions within a specific country. For example, if your business only ships to Canada and France, you can choose to target only those countries.
Additionally, if you select a specific country or region to target, you'll see an option to target by a specific city within that country or region.
You can also target more granularly - by postal code. For example, you can run your local store campaigns only in places you have physical stores, helping you spend your budget wisely and attract relevant customers.
If you are targeting multiple locations, you may want to set up a separate campaign for each location. You can learn more about campaign set up optimizations here.
Important! A Note About Geographic Targeting Discrepancies
Taboola partners with Digital Element, an MRC-Accredited, leading IP intelligence provider, to power it’s geolocation targeting services. Our decision to work with Digital Element was based of extensive testing of all options. We found Digital Element to be the most accurate.
As with any digital targeting solution, no two analytics systems will have 100% alignment. We tend to see anywhere from 1-3% discrepancies between geographic reports.
To ensure that our team is focusing their efforts on investigating the most pressing concerns, we have provided a threshold guideline below.
- For desktop campaigns, any discrepancy that is higher than 10% between systems will be investigated.
- For mobile campaigns, any discrepancy that is higher than 20% between systems will be investigated.
Setting Up Location Targeting
To get started, do the following:
- Go to the Campaign Management page.
- Then click +New Campaign.
- In the New Campaign page, go to the Campaign Targeting section in the middle of the page.
- You can select which countries, regions, citites or postal codes you'd like to target. You can include or exclude locations.
If you are targeting regions, DMAs or postal codes you can only do so for one country per campaign. You cannot select multiple regions, DMAs or postal codes from multiple countries in one campaign. If you'd like to target areas in multiple countries, please set up separate campaigns for each country.You cannot target and block locations in the same campaign.While we support the vast majority of standard Postal Codes globally, some are are too small to show up for targeting.
- After you have entered your desired location settings, and the rest of your campaign settings, click Continue. Then you will be able to start adding campaign items to your new campaign.
If you are targeting regions, DMAs or postal codes, you may need to set your CPC to be approximately 30% - 50% higher than the CPC in your run of network campaign(s). This ensures your campaign sees the desired volume as you are targeting a smaller group of users.
To target a specific city, simply select from the dropdown menu that appears once you have determines a region or country to target.
You can edit the location targeting at any time by returning to the Edit Campaign page.