If you’ve implemented your conversion tracking code and are seeing discrepancies between your data and the data in Backstage, please take the following steps to troubleshoot.
Make Sure Your Code is Implemented on the Correct Page
If you are seeing a data discrepancy with your conversion data, it might be because the conversion tracking code is not implemented on the correct page.
- If you are tracking website conversions such as purchases, new leads, or email sign-ups, your conversion tracking code should be added to the “thank you” or confirmation page of the action that indicates a conversion has been made.
- If you are tracking website actions such as a button/link click on your website or an “add to cart” action, your conversion tracking code should be added to the page where the action occurs.
- If you are tracking pageviews, your conversion tracking code should be added to every page of your site.
- If you are tracking video views, you should work with your video player provider to confirm that your conversion tracking code is placed in the correct spot. This will be different depending on if you are tracking video starts, video completions or reaching a certain point in the video.
Here are instructions for checking if your conversion tracking code is implemented on the desired page.
This article gives you more information about what page(s) you should implement your conversion tracking code on based on your goals.
Make Sure Your Code is Not Implemented on Too Many or Too Few Pages
A common reason for data discrepancies is having your conversion tracking code placed on too many or too few pages.
For example, you might be tracking a website conversion and you have implemented your conversion tracking code on multiple pages representing multiple steps in the conversion funnel, when you are only looking to track the final purchase made. In this case, you need to remove the conversion tracking code from all pages except the “thank you” or confirmation page.
Make Sure Your Code is Placed in the Head Section of Your Page(s)
Other Tips For Troubleshooting Conversion Data Discrepancies
- Copy and paste correctly. Make sure your conversion tracking code is copied and pasted correctly. Do not paste only parts or pieces of the code unless specifically instructed. The whole code must be implemented on your site for it to work properly.
- Use the same date range. When comparing analytics dashboards, make sure that you are looking at the same date range. Try to look at multiple days or weeks and not one single day.
- Be aware of attribution. Taboola will attribute the conversion to the time of the click, not the time of the actual conversion. For example, if someone clicked on your campaign item on August 4th, then came back to your landing page and purchased your product on August 8th, the conversion will register on August 4th in Backstage.
- Tag manager implementation.
- Make sure there are no rules set around when the code should appear on the page.
If you are still having issues after checking everything above, please contact your Account Manager or firstname.lastname@example.org.