Before running a campaign on the Taboola network, it’s important to be aware of these requirements for your campaigns. These policies apply to your entire campaign. This includes your campaign, campaign items, titles, thumbnails, destination URLs and landing pages.
False or Misleading Practices
V You must clearly and prominently disclose all material terms and promotional offers.
- Example: Don't emphasize a "free" trial or "free" product in a campaign's title if there are any related charges, such as shipping and handling, unless the related charges are clearly and prominently disclosed at the same time.
X You must not use any deceptive practices in your campaign.
- Example: Landing pages must not lead users to believe they are on an editorial page when they are in fact on a page that is selling a product or service
- Example: If the landing page is a slideshow about celebrities, the thumbnail must not feature a celebrity who does not appear reasonably close to the beginning of the slideshow.
X You must not include any false, misleading, or deceptive claims of any kind. You must have appropriate support for all statements that you make.
- Example: Campaign may not state that a product is a miracle cure, or that it will reverse a disease.
X You must not have any rumors or false information about any person, or any unsubstantiated claims about a product, a company, or any other entity.
- Example: Campaign must not focus on the alleged sexual orientation of a celebrity.
X You must not include any inaccurate or deceptive text or images, including fake or altered images.
- Examples: Campaign may not use any digitally retouched images; images with a fake "play" button (where there is no video capability); or navigational buttons that do not lead to a place where users would reasonably expect them to lead.
X You must not include fake user comments, third-party reviews, or testimonials.
- Examples: Campaign may not feature fake social media comments that speak highly of the product/service, or fake social media reviews of the product/service.
X You must not create a false sense of urgency.
- Examples: Campaign may not use auto-refreshing expiration dates for offers, countdown clocks, or false statements about the limited availability of supplies or special offers.
X You must not claim or suggest to have a third-party accreditation or endorsement if the product or service does not have such accreditation or endorsement.
- Example: Campaign may not use registered media logos on the landing page in an “As Featured In” section to imply that the product has been featured in those media outlets, when it has not been.
X You must not make any specific weight loss, money-making, or money-saving claims. Promotions must not contain exact dollar amounts that user can save or earn.
- Example: Campaigns may not use a title that claims you can lose five pounds per week with no exercise; a title that claims you can make $525 per week working from home; or a headline for a mortgage quotes landing page that claims you can save up to $450 on your mortgage payments
- Example: Campaigns may not promise that you can make money working from home; promote get-rich-quick schemes; promise that you can make an unrealistic amount of money with little effort; sell penny stocks and other high-risk investments.
V You must comply with all relevant laws of the region where you are advertising.
X You must not use Taboola to violate any law or regulation, or in furtherance of such a violation.
- Example: You must not promote online gambling content in a country where it is illegal.
X You must not run campaigns that promote any content, product or service that is illegal in any applicable jurisdiction.
X You must not use Taboola to violate the rights of any third partyincluding any copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other personal or proprietary rights.
- Examples: Content must not contain photos of individuals without proper permission or licensing. Thumbnails cannot use another company’s logo; and cannot be an image owned by another company or individual, without all necessary permissions.
X You must not use the name, image, or likeness of any celebrity or other real person without their permission.
- Example: A dietary supplement company may not use a picture of a celebrity on its landing page or state that the celebrity uses the supplement for weight loss, unless you obtained appropriate permissions from the celebrity and can provide proof of such authorization.
X You must not include content written or created by a third party without that third party's permission.
- Example: Campaigns may not engage in plagiarism of any kind; or copy titles, images, or landing page content.
User Information and Targeting
X You must not directly capture any personally identifiable or sensitive user information, without the user’s express consent.
- Examples of personal information include, but are not limited to: email addresses, home addresses, dates of birth, telephone numbers, and credit card numbers.
- Examples of sensitive user information include, but are not limited to:
- Sensitive personal information (such as race, religion, sexual orientation, or disability status)
- Eligibility for benefits or transactions (such as credit eligibility, insurance eligibility, or housing eligibility)
- Sensitive health information (such a medical conditions, family medical history, drug addiction, pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, and mental health conditions)
X You must not associate cookies, web beacons, or other tracking mechanisms with personally-identifiable information (PII) for any purpose or with precise user location for behavior targeting, unless the user has knowingly and expressly opted in.
X You must not target or advertise to children under the age of 13 or store or solicit information from users under the age of 13.
- Example: You must not advertise a mobile app game in a manner that appeals to children.
X You must not abuse the Taboola network, as determined in our sole discretion.
X You must not use websites that are designed to collect a user's personal information or harvest personal information with the intention of distributing that information without a user's consent.
- Examples of personal information include, but are not limited to: email addresses, dates of birth, telephone numbers, and credit card numbers.
- Examples of sensitive user information include, but are not limited to: sexual orientation, race, or religion.
X You must not use websites or content that contains or causes the download of any spyware, malware, or software, resulting in an unexpected experience, such as the automatic download of applications without users' consent.
- Examples: Computer viruses, ransomware, worms, trojan horses, spyware, rogue security software, and other malicious programs or apps
X You must not use "cloaking" or using other techniques to hide the true destination that users are directed to.
- Cloaking: A technique where the content presented to Taboola for review is different from the content presented via redirect to the user's browser.
X You must not use URLs that direct different users to different landing pages without a valid business or legal reason, as determined in our sole discretion.
X You must not use websites that contain any code or script that interferes with a user's control of the site.
- Example: Campaigns may not use a script that takes over a web page or user's browser.
X You must not use websites that contain pop-under advertisements, which open new browser windows hidden under the active window.