Conversions occur when a user takes a desired action on your landing page that is valuable to you and your business, such as a product purchase, pageview, email signup, or other type of action. With conversion tracking, you can easily see if Taboola is driving results for your business by monitoring conversions that happen on your website after someone clicks on your campaigns.
The following actions can be tracked using conversion tracking:
- Website Conversions - This includes purchases, new leads, and email signups.
- Website Actions - This includes a button/link click on your website and an “add to cart” action.
- Pageviews - This means tracking the amount of pages a user visits after they click on your campaign item. This metric is commonly called “Pages Per Visit.”
- App Downloads - You can track mobile app downloads and in-app events that happen after a user clicks on your Taboola campaign item by utilizing server-to-server conversion tracking.
To get started with conversion tracking, you will need to first create your conversion tracking code, then implement your conversion tracking code on your website.
Viewing Conversion Data in Reports
The conversion data for your campaigns can be viewed in the Campaigns Tab in Taboola Ads.
Conversion tracking allows you to see performance data for many different conversion types in the same report, providing deeper detail into the actions Taboola users are taking on your website.
The following are the steps required in Taboola Ads to report on conversion data.
- Go to the Campaigns tab in Taboola Ads
- On the right side of the screen, click the Columns button.
- Here you can select the columns that you want to view and select for reporting on multiple conversions.
For each conversion type (per conversion rule and total), there will be four available columns:
- Conversions – The number of actions attributed to Taboola.
- CVR – The number of conversions/impressions x 100%.
- CPA – The total spent/number of conversions. Note that this is for total spend and not first conversion spend.
- Conversion Value ($) - The sum of conversion values based on the conversion value parameter. If the conversion value parameter is empty, this value will be 0.
In the Customize Columns view, the columns selected by default are: Viewable Impressions, Viewable CTR (vCTR), Clicks, Average CPC, Viewable CPM (vCPM), Spent, Conversion Rate, Actions, and CPA. When changing these selections, you can go back and restore the defaults by selecting Reset to default.
Customization Feature: Include in Total Conversions
As an advertiser, you likely want to view and analyze different touch points in the customer journey, and then optimize accordingly.
Some touch points are more important than others of course, and a campaign’s CPA should be calculated only for the most important touch points. For instance, you may have an e-commerce site with the following conversions: landing on the site, shopping cart, and purchase. For the overall conversion data, you may want to only count purchase data and analyze the purchase CPA.
With the Include in Total Conversions feature, Backstage allows advertisers, per conversion rule, to select whether a particular conversion should be counted as part of your total conversions. This is important for optimization based on conversions (i.e., Smart bidding, lookalike audiences, etc.) – as well as for optimizing towards the most relevant actions and most important touchpoints.
You can use this setting to control how you bid for conversions and to customize the data you want to see in your reports.
Setting Up Include in Total Conversions
- Go to the Taboola Pixel, Conversions page.
- Click + New Conversion.
- In the Conversion Properties section, select Yes or No in the Include in Total Conversions option, to include or not include the conversion as part of your total conversions reporting column. Choosing not to include a particular conversion in the column means your automated bid strategies won’t bid for these particular conversions.