Reaching the right customer, at the right time, with the right message is the key to running a successful campaign. With 3rd party pixels, advertisers are able to measure audience behaviors on other platforms, as well as understand their users better.
The Facebook Pixel for Taboola campaigns is a 3rd party remarketing pixel that will allow you to build audiences in the Facebook platform in order to remarket your Taboola audiences on Facebook.
Please note that you do not need to make any changes to the pixel code on your website.
In general, the steps needed are:
- Create a facebook image pixel.
- Enter the Facebook pixel URL as a 3rd party tag in Backstage.
- Create a custom audience in facebook (after the Taboola campaign is live).
How to create a Facebook Pixel
- In the Facebook Ads Manager, get your pixel ID. You can find this in Events Manager (see red error in screenshot below).
- Update the following Facebook pixel (copy it to a text editor in order to edit):
a. YOUR_PIXEL_ID: Insert your pixel ID from the previous step.
b. EVENT_NAME: Choose a unique name so that you can later remarket the Taboola audience (and not all of your website traffic). We recommend you use “taboola”.
The name of the event should be in all lowercase letters and without spaces in order to work properly.
c. For example:
My pixel ID is 123123 and I want to name the audience “taboola”.
My facebook pixel URL will be:
Enter the Facebook Pixel URL as a 3rd party tag in Backstage.
Add your facebook pixel URL to Backstage under 3rd Party Tags in Campaign Settings.
From this point, all users engaging with your Taboola campaign will be ready for remarketing in Facebook.
Create a Custom Audience in Facebook
In Facebook, you will create your Custom Audience (after the campaign is live):
- Under Audiences, choose “Custom Audience” in the drop down menu.
(you will find the Audience under Assets). If you’ve never created an audience before, select “Create a Custom Audience.”
- Select “website traffic” in the “Use your Sources” section.
- Under your pixel set-up, choose the corresponding event name that will be reflected throughout your set-up. (If you named the event ‘taboola’, this is the event name you need to pick.)
- Name your audience and click ‘Create Audience’ (do not set any rules). From this point, you can retarget your custom Taboola audience in Facebook!