What are 3rd Party Tags?
What can I do with these tags?
Send live campaign data to your 3rd party tracking platform. Validate brand safety, numbers of impressions, viewable impressions and clicks.
Observe the whole user journey, not just the last click. Measure the effectiveness of Taboola on users that have seen your ads (and have not necessarily clicked them).
Identify users that have engaged with your Taboola ads and remarket them on other platforms. (Scroll to the end of this article to learn how to remarket your Taboola users in Facebook and Google Ads).
How can you implement 3rd party tags in your campaigns?
- When setting up a new or existing campaign in Campaign Management, you will find 3rd Party Tags under “Tracking”
- Click “Add Tag” and choose tag type
- Insert the tag under “Tag.” Note the limitations for each tag type
- For pixels - choose the event type to trigger your pixel.
- Allowed types:
image and text. No limitations on vendors.
- We are limited in some ways by sites, apps, browsers or devices that are unable to execute pixel implementations. In such cases, even though the pixel data did not reach your 3rd party platform, your ad was indeed displayed.
For example, HTTP limitation in Chrome and Firefox latest versions will prevent tracking for http pixels.
3rd Party Tag Validation
We have several layers of validation when uploading 3rd party tags. We validate pixel URLs, ensuring that it matches URL conventions. If the URL you added does not match our validation, you will not be able to add it.
Possible Validation Errors
- “Only image/text pixels are accepted.”
- “Pixel URL contains an invalid character: <state illegal character>.”
This means the pixel URL holds a character that is not in URL standards.
- “Pixel URL structure does not match standard URL conventions.”
Check that you entered the pixel URL correctly.
- “An error occurred when testing the pixel URL (4xx error).”
This error might mean that your 3rd party vendor does not allow Taboola server to check the URL endpoint.
It can also mean that the pixel URL is marked as not safe.
- "URL is unavailable (5xx error)."
This means there was a server error. This might be due to temporary connectivity problems or a 3rd party’s server being down, but this can also mean the URL is permanently not available.
Please try again at a later time, check the URL for mistakes, and talk to you 3rd party to understand why you're receiving a 5xx error.
- “URL not valid.”
The pixel failed another validation that is not mentioned above. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
JavasScript Tags - Notes
- Accepted vendors: Moat, IAS and DCM (Soon to come: DoubleVerify)
- The tag should be implemented exactly as you got it from the 3rd party vendor.
- AdServing tags are not supported - Only verification tags\
- There are supply limitations as there are publishers that will not support JS tags on their pages.
- CCPA compliance - 3rd party pixels will not be fired for users that choose to opt out
Related articles for specific 3rd party tags:
Google Ads Remarketing Pixel for Taboola:
Remarket Your Taboola Audience on Facebook: