Note: This feature is currently in Limited Availability.
What are Engagements?
Engagements are valuable milestones in the purchase journey that occur between when someone clicks through to your website and when they eventually take valuable conversion actions. Taboola segments your engaged site visitors into two groups, “Engagers” and “Deep Engagers”. These groups are based on a user’s interest and interaction levels with your web content. Customer behaviors such as amount of pages viewed, time spent on site, or browsing your products will impact how users will be segmented into the two groups.
Engagements Lead to Conversions.
Engagements are conversion indicators; someone who has spent a lot of time on your site is much more likely to come back and convert than a new user who is discovering your brand for the first time. Optimizing for these valuable behavioral benchmarks can improve your overall success using the Taboola Platform, as well as across all marketing channels.
By targeting previously engaged audiences, you will be able to move users that are already in the awareness or consideration phase down the marketing funnel.
How are they calculated?
Our algorithm collects multiple signals from the events on your website. The milestones are set based on your unique customer journey. Signals such as recurring visits, time on site, scroll depth and the number of pages a user visited within a session are taken as an input into our algorithm. The strength and depth of these signals help determine the difference between “Engagers” and “Deep Engagers.”
How can I use Engagements in my campaigns?
Audiences based on Engagements will be automatically created in Backstage for you to target within backstage. This lets you remarket these users and reach them at the right moment with ads that are closer to the point of sale.
Things to note:
- Make sure you see “Engagers” and “Deep Engagers” under the Audiences tab in your backstage account
- Create new campaigns and retarget “Deep Engager” audiences to target users who are the closest to the point of sale or conversion.
- Tailor your creatives to better address users in this consideration phase
- Do not add additional audience segments to campaigns targeting Engagers, as it will impact scale.
- If you want to retarget both Engagers and Deep Engagers, create separate campaigns for them. If you target both audience segments in the same campaign, it will eliminate the impact of targeting Deep Engagers on it’s own. In this sense, all “Deep Engagers” also also “Engagers” by default.
- Bidding and CPC
- To start, the CPC bid for retargeting your deeply engaged users should be atleast double that of your CPC for widely targeted, run-of-network campaigns, and about 50% higher than campaigns targeting “All Website Visitors”
- We recommend using Smart Bid to make sure you get the best possible conversion rates.
- Create dedicated content for each stage of the purchase journey.
- Someone who has deeply engaged with your site has a very high chance of converting. Your messaging can be more direct since they have gotten to know your brand already.