Achieve your Conversion objectives with a short video or gif asset.
Motion Ads are ad formats designed to achieve conversion objectives by using a short video asset that runs in Taboola’s sponsored content placements. Motion Ads are a great way to enhance your existing creative strategy and allow you to raise click-through and conversion rates, which can result in lower costs per action (CPA).
When To Use Motion Ads
Motion Ads can be used in all of your campaigns just like a typical image ad; they are eye-catching placements designed to bring greater focus to your ad amongst others in the Taboola Feed and encourage users to click and convert. You should add Motion Ads to your campaign when you are looking to improve click through rates, save on CPCs, increase conversion rates, or lower your CPAs!
In short, if you are focused on consideration or conversion goals, you should utilize Motion Ads in your campaigns.
Building a Campaign with Motion Ads
Adding a motion ad to your campaign is quite simple, and is set up just like a typical image ad would be!
- First, start by clicking "Create" > "Ads"
- Select the variations Creation Mode:
- Finally, continue with the creation of your ads:
- A video file is uploaded in a place of a static image:
- Then you add a default image to accompany the video file which will display in the instances that any of our publishers do not accept moving assets on their page. This is done to ensure that you have the same scale running Motion Ads as you do standard Image Ads.
- TIP: When choosing a default image, select the best performing static image from your existing Taboola campaign!
- Motion Ads have no sound and will continuously loop the video or gif
- Choose a video that makes sense without sound
- No text on the video is better, but the video can work with text if removing is not an option
- Check the file format and aspect ratios are compatible with the shared specs
- There are some scenarios where we can't serve the video and instead need to serve an image, hence the inclusion of a default image.
- Use your best performing static image as your fallback image
- Do not use a freeze frame of the video; we see much better performance when a separate image is used
- If you do not know what your best performing image is, or the campaign is new, then use the image you would select if this was a static SC campaign
- Motion Ads are optimized just like any other Taboola campaign!
- Adjust the site bids- increase for low CPA sites and decrease for high CPA sites once enough activity has occurred
- If you see ads with high CPAs:
- First look if you have ads that are performing much better for CPA; if so, pause the high CPA ads and more traffic will go to the higher performing ads
- If you need to pause a large number of ads, consider creating new ones so the campaign doesn't lose scale too quickly
- You don't need a new campaign to test video; it can be added to a live campaign
- Like static Image Ads, we encourage you to test multiple videos or gifs to find the one that drives the best performance
16:9 (Best Practice), 4:5
|File Type||MP4, MOV, GIF|
|Max File Size||
MP4, MOV: 50MB
|Pixel Resolution||1000x600 or higher|
|Max Video Length||
Motion Ads should not be confused with Taboola's Branding Video solution; which is a longer video format designed to meet awareness or viewability goals. For more information about Branding Video, please see the Branding Video section here, or reach out to your dedicated Taboola team.
Reach out to your Taboola contact for more Best Practices and any additional information on Motion Ads.