Achieve your Conversion objectives with a short video or gif asset.
Motion Ads are ad formats designed to achieve conversion objectives by using a short video asset that runs in Taboola’s sponsored content placements. Motion Ads are a great way to enhance your existing creative strategy and allow you to raise click-through and conversion rates, which can result in lower costs per action (CPA).
When To Use Motion Ads
Motion Ads can be used in all of your campaigns just like a typical image ad; they are eye-catching placements designed to bring greater focus to your ad amongst others in the Taboola Feed and encourage users to click and convert. You should add Motion Ads to your campaign when you are looking to improve click through rates, save on CPCs, increase conversion rates, or lower your CPAs!
In short, if you are focused on consideration or conversion goals, you should utilize Motion Ads in your campaigns.
How to Add Motion Ads
Adding a motion ad to your campaign is quite simple, and is set up just like a typical image ad would be! To get started, Create a new ad or campaign, and select the Variations option (this is not yet available on the one-by-one or rss screens).
- Upload a video or gif in place of an image file. You can do this by choosing from your existing media library or uploading a new file. *coming soon* free stock videos
- Add a fallback image to accompany the video file which will display on publishers or placements that don't yet support moving assets. This is done to ensure that you have the same scale running Motion Ads as you do standard Image Ads.
If you have already run a campaign with Taboola, you may see fallback image recommended for you. This recommendation comes from reviewing your existing ads and identifying the best performing image to use that will maximize your conversion potential.
TIP: If you choose to upload a new default image - be sure to select one of your best performing static images from your existing Taboola campaigns to achieve the best results!
Don't Have Assets? Check out our Motion Ads Studio!
This creation tool will allow you to convert new and existing images into Motion Ads by adding animations and overlays. Check out our Motion Ads Studio Help Center for more details.
Motion Ads Best Best Practices
- Motion Ads have no sound and will continuously loop the video or gif
- Choose a video that makes sense without sound
- No text on the video is better, but the video can work with text if removing is not an option
- Check the file format and aspect ratios are compatible with the shared specs
- There are some scenarios where we can't serve the video and instead need to serve an image, hence the inclusion of a default image.
- Use your best performing static image as your fallback image
- Do not use a freeze frame of the video; we see much better performance when a separate image is used
- If you do not know what your best performing image is, or the campaign is new, then use the image you would select if this was a static SC campaign
- Motion Ads are optimized just like any other Taboola campaign!
- Adjust the site bids- increase for low CPA sites and decrease for high CPA sites once enough activity has occurred
- If you see ads with high CPAs:
- First look if you have ads that are performing much better for CPA; if so, pause the high CPA ads and more traffic will go to the higher performing ads
- If you need to pause a large number of ads, consider creating new ones so the campaign doesn't lose scale too quickly
- You don't need a new campaign to test video; it can be added to a live campaign
- Like static Image Ads, we encourage you to test multiple videos or gifs to find the one that drives the best performance
16:9 (Best Practice), 4:5
|File Type||MP4, MOV, GIF|
|Max File Size||
MP4, MOV: 50MB
|Pixel Resolution||1000x600 or higher|
|Max Video Length||
Motion Ads should not be confused with Taboola's Branding Video solution; which is a longer video format designed to meet awareness or viewability goals. For more information about Branding Video, please see the Branding Video section here, or reach out to your dedicated Taboola team.
Reach out to your Taboola contact for more Best Practices and any additional information on Motion Ads.