PLEASE NOTE: This feature is currently only available in select markets. Stay tuned for updates!
Taboola's native placements across our 20,000+ publisher sites provide you with a quality ad experience, however, these placements vary in size and can result in image cropping challenges. Image sizes and cropping can vary greatly from widget to widget.
To ensure each image is optimally cropped and centered, we recommend adhering to Taboola's creative best practices, however, we also have two tools to help you control and verify how your ads look before a single dollar is spent - Image Preview and Focus Selection.
The Image Preview feature allows you to see what your ad will look like across different placements and configurations before your campaigns go live.
Taboola's advanced artificial intelligence logic is already designed to select and adjust the focus on an image, but in order to ensure your creatives highlight the most important part of your image across all placements and configurations, Focus Selector gives you the control to override automatic focal point selection and set a customized, focus area.
How it works:
- A new option will appear in the image upload/edit thumbnail screen to set the "Focal Point" of the image.
- If "Custom" is selected on the item level, this overrides the default focus setting and allows you to set the focal point of the image.
- The selected focal point should be reflected in the preview tool with examples of how your ad will look in Taboola's common placements. (Once you've chosen the selected focal point, be sure to click on the creative preview to verify the appearance of the focal point you selected.)
- The focus selection will be available for both newly uploaded and existing images. The preview and focus selection should always appear when the image screen is opened.
When should you change the focal point?
- If there is text or a logo on the image that is being cut off by the automatic focal point setting.
- When your image features a product that is being cut off by the automatic focal point setting.
- When the default focal point is causing a secondary subject of the photo to be cropped out.
** Please note: If the focal point selector does not improve the display of your image, then the best next step would be to upload a new image. The focal point selector does not offer a cropping solution and will not solve cases where the uploaded image is low resolution, small, or otherwise unfit for a native placement.
Ad Preview Tool:
There are two ways to view the image preview, either within the image edit screen or by clicking the "eye" icon on the far right of the ad in your campaign inventory.
The default option, "Placements Preview" will show the ad variation in a variety of placement sizes commonly seen across Taboola's publisher network.
The preview will open in a new tab, showing the specific ad repeated across multiple placement sizes. (Please note: If you do not see an image preview, be sure to turn off ad blocker for this page or view this in an incognito browser window.)
The "On-Site Demo" option in the preview screen allows you to view your ad on any live feed in Taboola's publisher network. This defaults to Taboola's feed demo page, but you may also input the actual URL of any page that includes a Taboola placement. (Please note: This is available only by selecting the "eye" icon and not when you first upload the image.)
The preview will then render in the first slot of whatever page you input as the preview destination, with all other ads remaining unaltered.
For additional questions, please contact your account manager or Taboola Support.