This article provides an overview of Taboola’s recommended creative best practices for Creative Ads with Description campaign items. Below are our best practices for creating great ad creatives and copy.
- Tell more of your story in order to have a higher impact at the impression level
- Increase conversion intent before a click, using more information at the creative level
- Adapt your social content across Taboola’s media formats.
Implementation at a Glance:
- Ad Creative Descriptions are optional
- By default, the description is uploaded (as opposed to crawled), and served in widgets.
- DKI is not supported
- Description works with Video (Sponsored Content), Static Images, and GIFs. Soon to come CTA button
Best Practices at a Glance:
- Description length:
- Maximum 320 characters
- The description length presented depends on the placement. If truncated, the description will end in an ellipsis.
- All languages are supported
- Emojis are not supported
- You can see a preview of the ads using the image preview tool in Taboola Ads and Backstage.
Creative Insights and Content Strategies
Use a variety of content to drive clicks and qualify conversions: Creative images or videos naturally play off of the Description in this ad type. See our recommended image strategies to boost performance for CTR or CVR.
Description strategies naturally play off of the Creatives used in this ad type. Tell your story in the description and creatives, leading with messaging you want the reader to immediately see under the Title. We’ve tested the Top 100 descriptions from our Sponsored Content Best Practices and found the following tactics and ad copy examples work well for driving conversions:
Use Keywords in the Description that fit your goals.
In terms of word choice for Descriptions, consider what the Description says about the advertiser’s product or service. As far as driving high conversion rates, words that describe the product’s features such as ‘ginger-based,’ ‘vegan,’ ‘shipped,’ ‘wine,’ ‘compare,’ or ‘providers’ drive high CVR increase, whereas words that describe the product in superlative terms like ‘outstandingly comfortable’ or ‘best ever’ drive high CTR.
Creative Specs at a Glance
Native Display - Static Image (Native Display - vCPM)
Headline Copy: Up to 60 Characters (35 - 45 recommended)
Branding Text: Up to 30 Characters --> Capitalize Like a Book Title
Static Thumbnail: Min. 1000x600 (maintain similar ratio) Up to 2.5MB, JPEG Preferred
OR Animated Thumbnail: Min. 1,000x600 (maintain similar ratio) Up to 3MB, Max 15s, GIF Only (other filetypes will be converted)
Video: Min. 800x600 (maintain similar ratio) Up to 50MB, Max 15s, Recommended <10s, MP4, webm, flv, mov, ogv, 3gp, 3g2, wmv, mpeg, flv, mkv or avi
Aspect Ratio 1000x600
Video - vCPM, CPM, CPCV)
File: MP4, FLV, WEBM, MOV, MPG, MPEG - Up to 50MB, 30s Preferred, Max 3m (Premium), Bitrate>=2500KBPS
Third-Party Tags: VAST 2.0, VAST 2.0 w/ VPAID 1.0/2.0, VAST 3.0
Aspect Ratio Cross-Platform: 16:9, Mobile-Only: 1:1, 4:5
Image file: 2.5 MB Max, JPEG (preferred), JMP, PNG, WEBP, or GIF
Title Character Length:
50 Characters or less. Titles over 50 characters are allowed but may be truncated.