In an effort to drive the best performance possible for your campaigns, Taboola provides multiple targeting options - including targeting by audience segments. In your campaigns, you are able to target users by interest, demographics, business roles, and buying intent.
This allows you, for example, to focus your spend on audiences you know you want to target or audiences who are buying your product or service at the highest rates.
You also have access to by segment reporting, allowing you to make smart targeting decisions to drive the highest ROI.
This article will review how to access your by audience segment reporting to find the best audiences to target. Then, it will review how to set up a campaign to target these top performing audience segments.
How to Access Audience Segment Reporting
To access reporting, take the following steps:
- Go to the Campaign Summary page.
- Select the relevant campaign you’d like to see the audience segments for.
- (Optional) In the top right corner, select the date range you want to view.
- At the top of the report, select the By Audience tab. On the By Audience tab, you will be able to see relevant performance metrics like impressions, clickthrough rate (CTR) and conversion rate, shown by audience segment, collected over the timeframe you selected. In the report you’ll also see what partner from our extensive inventory is providing each audience segment in the Partner Name column.
So, clicks and actions from one user can show up in multiple segments in the By Audience report. Therefore, the data in the report will usually add up to more than the total clicks/spend/actions in the campaign.
How to Create Campaigns Targeting Specific Audiences
Once you have reviewed the data and would like to launch a new campaign, targeting specific audience segments, you have two options. See instructions below.
Create Campaign From The By Audience Report
This option allows you to copy an existing campaign, only changing the audience segment targeting. This option is best if you wish to create a campaign that’s based on a strongly performing audience segment from an existing campaign.
In order to create a campaign from the By Audience report, do the following:
- Go to the By Audience tab in the Campaign Summary page.
- Select the campaign you’d like to create a new campaign from (in other words, the campaign you will copy with the exception of the audience segment targeting).
- Review the data to identify the strongest audiences for your campaign goals. Usually, the best audiences are the ones that provide the lowest Cost Per Action (CPA)
- Tick check boxes of the audiences you would like to target
Important Note!Only one data partner can be used per campaign. This information can be found in the Partner Name column.
- Click on Duplicate using Audience.
- You’ll reach the New Campaign page, which will include all of the settings from your original campaign, including the audience segments you’ve selected to target.
Expert Tip!Targeting audience segments will most likely decrease the number of users are able to see this campaign. Your CPC will be adjusted to the minimal CPC recommended to maintain scale.
- Make any necessary changes to the rest of your campaign settings, and click Continue. Then you will be able to edit campaign items in your campaign if needed.
Create A Campaign From The Campaign Management Page
While it is recommended to build audience campaigns based on data from your existing campaigns, sometimes you already know what audiences you’d like to target.
In order to create a campaign from the Campaign Management page, do the following:
- Go to the Campaign Management page
- Click +New Campaign
- Under the Campaign Targeting section, select the country that you wish your campaign to run in.
WarningThe country targeting affects which audiences will be available, as not all partners provide audience segment data in all locations.
- Also under the Campaign Targeting section, select Audience Segments under Audience subsection.
- Select which audience segment you’d wish to target from the drop down menu. You can also allows type in the field. There are a lot of audience segments to choose from! Start typing keywords to narrow your search.
- Once you select audiences, Taboola users who are in at least one of these audiences will be targeted.
You can edit your Audience Segment targeting at any time by returning to the Edit Campaign page.
Audience Segment Targeting Best Practices
Keep Run-Of-Network Campaigns Running: One of the main benefits of audience segment targeting is the ability to access audience segment data in any Taboola campaign in the By Audience tab of Campaign Summary. Maintain run-of-network, wide-reaching campaigns in order to stay informed about which audiences are engaging or converting most efficiently with your content. Let the data speak for itself.
Raise Your Audience Targeting CPC: As with any granular targeting functionality, focusing your campaign on a specific audience greatly reduces your potential scale. In order to maintain scale on campaigns when targeting specific audiences, it is recommended to run these campaigns with a higher CPC bid than your run-of-network campaigns.
Audience Segment FAQs
In which countries are audience segments available?
Audience segments are available globally. However, available providers and audiences will vary on a country by country basis. When you select a country to target in your campaign, the audiences available for that country will automatically populate under Audience Segments.
How do I exclude audiences?
It is not recommended to exclude specific audience segments. Currently, you need to work with your Taboola Account Manager or email@example.com to set this up for you.
Can I combine audiences from different data providers?
It is possible to combine audience segments from four particular audience providers within one campaign: Eyeota, Bombora, Connexity, and Taboola. This means that when you select audiences from any of these partners, you can continue to also select from the other three. For everything else, you can create multiple campaigns as needed to cover audience targeting needs from multiple providers.