How To Set Up a New Campaign
While Taboola lets you set up specific and unique campaigns, we recommend that every new campaign starts with the following standard setup.
- Open your Taboola Ads dashboard.
- Click +Create, then select Campaign. The New Campaign page is displayed.
- Enter your campaign's name and add the branding text in the appropriate fields. The branding text is the site name or product you're promoting and will appear under your campaign items when they appear in Taboola placements. It's a mandatory setting. For more information on branding text, refer to this page.
- Follow the on-screen steps to establish who you'd like to reach, when, and so on with the Marketing Objective, Scheduling, Audience Targeting, Bid Strategy, and Budget Settings. Some of these settings are mandatory, so choose those as necessary. For more information on all these settings, refer to our recommendations below.
- Click Continue to submit your ads for review and approval, which can take up to 24-48 hours. Refer to our content policy and review process for more details.
- Once your ad is approved, you'll need to add items to the Campaign Inventory, including a thumbnail, headline, and website URL for the ad. Learn how to add items to a new Campaign Inventory here.
You can edit campaign settings and campaign items at any time once they're approved. Remember, review and approval after any change can take up to 24-48 hours and are done according to our content policy and review process.
Once you have set up your first campaign and have started gathering data, we recommend the following changes for maximum impact and higher success.
Our Recommendations for Your First Campaign
The goal for any campaign is to maximize your reach and attain your goals while learning more about your target audiences. Your campaign name and branding text are mandatory settings for all campaigns, but they just cover the basics. By adjusting any of the following settings, you'll increase engagement, conversions, and bring your campaign closer to your goals.
Here are some best practices we recommend for your first campaign.
All Taboola campaigns need a Marketing Objective. Taboola comes with several pre-defined objectives you can use for your campaign. The platform is already configured to deliver the best possible results for each of these objectives, so you just need to choose the one that best aligns with your goals.
- Lead Generation: Drive leads, such as email signups.
- Online Purchases: Get people to buy your products.
- Website Engagement: Increase user engagement and pageviews.
- Brand Awareness: Increase awareness of your brand
- Mobile App Installs: Get people to install your app.
The Taboola platform will combine this objective with the data it gathers from the Taboola Pixel to deliver your campaign to users most suited to meet your goals. We recommend that new campaigns use whichever option is appropriate.
Scheduling Your Campaign
We recommend running your first campaign for a minimum of 7-10 days to establish a baseline for it. Otherwise, you'll not get enough data to make meaningful changes or optimizations.
By default, this option is set to start running as soon as approved and 24/7.
Location, Platform, and Device Targeting
Taboola lets you target audiences based on their location, the platform, and the devices people use to access your website. You may find that audiences respond differently based on each of these.
While we explain what each of these settings does and offer specific settings, we recommend leaving them blank or setting them to the widest possible audience so you get as much data as possible from this new campaign.
- Location targeting: Choose the specific country you wish to target with your campaign. If you wish to dig even deeper, you can target as narrowly as by region/state, city, or postal code, though we recommend choosing Entire Country to test individual countries.
- Platform targeting: User behavior often changes based on the platform they're accessing your website with, so you can target different ones: Desktop computers (includes both desktop and laptops used in a single location), mobile devices, and tablets.
- Connection Type, Operating System, Browser: These settings help you narrow your target audience even further and should only be used to optimize existing campaigns or after your new campaign has run for a while.
Brand Safety Settings
There are two settings you can use to stop your campaign from appearing on specific sites or article topics, Block Sites and Brand Safety Pre-Bid.
- Block Sites: This setting stops your campaign from appearing on specific sites for performance or brand safety reasons.
- Brand Safety Pre-Bid: Use this setting to protect your brand from serving on articles that do not meet your brand safety standards, such as sensitive or inappropriate topics.
We recommend that new campaigns leave both settings clear so you can gather data to receive a site-by-site breakdown of performance in Taboola and then make any bidding or blocking decisions.
Taboola offers various ways to narrow your reach to specific users or articles across our network. These audiences make it easy to refine your targeting based on the audiences you've already defined in Taboola (My Audiences,) Marketplace Audiences, and Contextual audiences.
We recommend that new campaigns not target specific audiences with these settings as they'll limit your reach, lead to an increase in CPC bids to make up for the reduced scale, and not give you accurate reports on your entire audience.
Note: If you do wish to target a specific audience with a new campaign, we recommend using the audience suppression setting in your Conversion settings. Learn about Audience Suppression here.
Setting a Bid and Budget
The keys to a successful campaign are an appropriate bid and budget that gets you enough clicks to generate statistically relevant data.
Your Bid Strategy
Taboola operates on a cost-per-click (CPC) bidding model. The higher the CPC, the more likely your ads are to display across the network, and the more likely they will be clicked.
We recommend that new campaigns use SmartBid to automatically adjust your bid to the right user and open up different ways to optimize your campaigns. Learn about SmartBid here.
Ideally, your budget should be set at the lowest amount possible, covering your CPC rates, and having high engagement. We recommend that new campaigns aim for a minimum of 100-200 clicks per day. That means entering a budget equal to your bid multiplied by the number of clicks. E.g., for a $0.50 CPC bid, you'd need to enter a daily budget of $50-100 to meet the 100-200 daily clicks.
All campaigns must have an ad associated with them, including a thumbnail, headline, and website. Learn how to set this up for your new campaign here.
We recommend that new campaigns run between 3-10 ads per campaign to generate sufficient data. Our algorithm will test the ads and optimize traffic towards those that perform best. Learn more about our ad best practices here and how to update campaign items here.
You can also add optional ad elements like CTA Buttons or Ad Descriptions to enhance your ads. Before adding your ad content, click here to read more about our content policy and review process.
Explore More Campaign Options
Discover even more campaign options and learn how to optimize an existing campaign here.
Native Advertising with Taboola
A Taboola campaign is made up of a group of ads with the same targeting and cost per click (CPC) bid. To run ads on the Taboola Network, you must set up a campaign first.